We like to use herbs in our green salads for the extra splash of flavor, but we prefer to make the herbs a main part of the salad and slaw rather than just a garnish, like this cilantro slaw. Cilantro, parsley, and basils work very well as salad flavor boosters and they also provide antioxidants and essential vitamins. Fortunately our garden has plenty of our three favorite herbs for our summer salads!
Slaws are very simple and a perfect accompaniment for summer cookouts and picnics, especially when they are dairy free, which means you don't have to be as concerned about keeping them chilled. This one uses two colors of cabbage and adds the flavor of fresh cilantro, my favorite herb, with a twist of fresh lime juice. For convenience, you could also use a 12-ounce bag of shredded coleslaw mix as a substitute for the cabbage.
This is my contribution to this week's edition of Weekend Herb Blogging, a weekly event founded by the wonderful Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen. Kalyn herself is hosting this week, so be sure to check out her blog for the round-up!
- large bowl
- small bowl or jar with a lid
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Mix shredded red and green cabbage, carrots, and cilantro in the large bowl. Whisk olive oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper in small bowl or shake in a jar with a lid to blend. Add to cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Chill before serving.