I have to confess that I am sometimes impatient. (Michael will probably laugh his head off when he reads that statement.) Ok, maybe more often than that. When I make up my mind about something, it’s got to get done yesterday or no later than now.
Right now I’m impatient with our container garden, which seems to be taking its own sweet time ripening our fruits and vegetables. We’re just dying to grab a bunch of colorful peppers and use them, but they are just hanging around and staying green. I planted red and yellow peppers, and so far we’ve only gotten two yellow peppers and zero red peppers. We’ve become impatient and have started picking them green so that we can eat them and encourage the plants to produce more.
When we finally got a yellow pepper—one yellow pepper—I sliced it thinly and tossed it in this cabbage salad. The vinaigrette gives it a nice Asian twist that pairs well with the Thai grilled chicken I posted this week. The sesame oil has a strong flavor, so you may want to add just one teaspoon and taste test before adding more.
This is another recipe using my favorite herb, cilantro, which ironically enough, is one herb that gives me fits when trying to grow it. Oh, I don’t have any trouble getting it to grow, but for some reason it seems to go to seed so fast that sometimes I don’t even get to use it before the leaves are done for. So I’m trying a new technique this winter in my kitchen garden. I’m going to try planting three different containers about two weeks apart, and then harvest as soon as the leaves are full, even if I don’t plan to use it right away. Then I’m going to chop and freeze it in cubes. It won’t be useful for garnish, but it will be great for cooking or even in vinaigrettes.
Asian Cabbage Salad
- 1 head cabbage (shredded)
- 2 bell peppers, yellow and red (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/2 cup cilantro (coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar (or palm sugar)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (gluten free)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- In the small bowl, whisk together the rice wine vinegar, lime juice, ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Set aside for about 30 minutes.
- In the large bowl, toss together the cabbage, green onions, carrots, and cilantro. Chill until ready to serve.
- Toss the vinaigrette with the cabbage mixture and serve immediately. Refrigerate any leftovers.