Do you ever go through times when you eat a lot of one thing, maybe a little obsessed with eating sandwiches, wraps, smoothies, quinoa, whatever? I go through phases where certain foods satisfy me more than others, and thankfully it’s usually something healthy, though stress can sometimes bring out the ice cream cravings.
Salad is my obsession at the moment. Piles of vegetables with something hot off the grill is getting me through a hot summer without spending hours in a hot kitchen. This fresh salad from Cooking Light is a favorite with my guys, full of crispy Napa cabbage, red cabbage, carrots, and red peppers with a peanut butter dressing that is tasty and easy to whip up. Regular green cabbage can also work, I just happen to like the lacy texture of Napa. For the dressing, I use less fish sauce than the original recipe, which makes it just right for my guys; just enough to be a little salty without a fishy taste.
The salad ingredients and dressing can be made a day ahead then tossed together just before serving.
Look for gluten-free versions of the fish sauce, rice vinegar, and chili paste.
Thai Cabbage Salad with Spicy Peanut Butter Dressing
- large bowl
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free chili paste with garlic
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 6 cups shredded napa cabbage (Chinese cabbage)
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup red bell pepper strips
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons dry-roasted peanut halves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add the Napa cabbage, red cabbage, bell pepper, and carrot, and toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Sprinkle on the peanuts, cilantro, and mint just before serving.
More Summer Salads
More Summer Salad Recipes From Other Blogs
- Lettuce & Me – Veggie Noodle Salad
- The Perfect Pantry – Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Salad with Creamy Basil Dressing
- Soup Addict - Summer Chopped Salad with Burrata and Dreamy Dill Buttermilk Dressing
- The Wicked Noodle – Thai Chopped Salad with Coconut Curry Dressing
[Disclosure: I am a member of the Cooking Light Bloggers' Connection.]