Our summer garden is peaking, with loads of tomatoes coming in every day, which means tomatoes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Not that we mind, we want to enjoy them while they are fresh and have the best flavor.
I introduced my guys to more Middle Eastern food with this dish adapted from Cooking Light, a salad or vegetable side dish with eggplant, roasted peppers, and a fresh and slightly spicy tomato sauce. The blend of flavors is fabulous, and it’s traditionally served with fresh flatbread, though it also goes well with rice or lentils for a gluten-free dish. I can even make a meal of this for a light vegan lunch.
The peppers are best when freshly roasted, but for a time saver I make a batch of them and keep them in the refrigerator in olive oil, then just pull out what I need. You can also use canned roasted peppers in a pinch.
- 2 medium red bell peppers, roasted
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and seeded
- 3 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup 2 ounces/60 ml olive oil
- 1 pound 454 g eggplant, cut into (1-inch) cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In the blender, puree the tomato. Add the tomato past, 2 tablespoons water, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, ground red pepper, and garlic. Blend until smooth.
Heat the oil in the saucepan over medium heat. Add the eggplant and cook until tender, about 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the chopped roasted pepper and the tomato sauce. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining salt and pepper.
You can substitute jarred roasted red peppers if needed.
More Recipes with Eggplant
More Recipes with Eggplant From Other Blogs
- Connoisseurus Veg – Japanese Eggplant Miso Noodle Soup
- Running to the Kitchen – Mediterranean Eggplant Chips
- The Woks of Life – Chinese Stuffed Eggplant
- In Jennie’s Kitchen – Crispy Baked Eggplant
[Disclosure: I am a member of the Cooking Light Bloggers’ Connection.][Disclosure: This blog earns a small commission through affiliate links.]