This is retro fruit salad recipe been passed down through the family. In fact every time my husband eats this, he proclaims, "This is soooo retro." While the name says it's a salad, it's probably closer to a dessert. Whatever the name, it's light and cool and great for the warm summer months. The creamy base is made from sour cream and whipped topping and then flavored with gelatin. You can make a light version with low fat or fat free sour cream and whipped topping, and then lower the calories even more with sugar-free gelatin and no sugar added fruits. Make sure the canned fruits are well-drained so the salad isn't runny. It will keep well for one day in the refrigerator, but after one day it will start to separate.
Make It Gluten Free and/or Vegan
Substitute gluten-free and vegan ingredients for the whipped topping, sour cream, and gelatin.
[Updated June 8, 2008]
Retro Creamy Fruit Salad
- medium to large mixing bowl
- plastic or glass serving bowl
- 12 ounces whipped topping (or vegan option)
- 16 ounces light sour cream (or vegan option)
- 3 ounces orange gelatin mix (regular or sugar free, or vegan option)
- 28 ounces fruit cocktail (drained)
- 8 ounces pineapple tidbits (drained)
- 10 ounces maraschino cherries (drained)
- 11 ounces mandarin oranges (drained)
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup shredded coconut (optional)
- In the mixing bowl, stir together the whipped topping, sour cream, and gelatin.
- Fold in all the fruit, pecan bits, and coconut. Chill for 3 to 4 hours. Serve cold.
My husband and boys love it, too. They could eat the whole thing all at once if I let them! 🙂
My mom makes one similar to this and my brothers love it.
Thanks for the recipe. My family always had it at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Without the jello, and with sweet dark red cherries, pineapple and mandarin oranges. I am making it now. Thanks for the reminder of the recipe.