When summer rolls around and it’s time to start making jams and jellies again, I stock up on pectin. Many of the recipes I make call for regular pectin, which requires cooking the jam or jelly, but I also like instant pectin for no-cook jams. Skipping the cooking process keeps the wonderful fresh flavor of the fruit and also saves me time, something I can always use more of. Instant pectin is perfect for small batches of 6 jars or less, so it’s also great for those times when I don’t have enough fruit for a large batch. It’s available in 0.6 ounce envelopes for small batches and 4.7 ounce jars. The jar of pectin recommends making no more than 6 jars of jam at a time with the instant pectin as larger batches may not set correctly.
For this jam you just need strawberries, honey, instant pectin, and moscato wine. With the instant pectin I can whip this up in about 30 minutes, including resting time. The wine is sweet so I use less honey, but the jam still has a full rich flavor.
The jam keeps well in plastic freezer jars or you can put it in decorative jars for gifts.
STRAWBERRY FREEZER JAM WITH MOSCATO
- large mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- 5 (8-ounce) plastic freezer jars
- 4 cups crushed strawberries (slightly chunky)
- ½ cup honey
- ¾ cup moscato wine
- 5 tablespoons instant pectin
- In the mixing bowl, stir together the crushed strawberries, honey, and wine, and allow it to sit about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the pectin until well mixed, about 3 minutes.
- Pour into the freezer jars and seal. Let the jars stand at room temperature until the mixture thickens, about 30 minutes. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks or in the freezer for several months.