I always loved the smell of this zucchini bread baking when I was a girl. I don’t know where my mom got the recipe, but it is a favorite. The bread is moist and flavorful.
[Updated August 22, 2009]
Mom’s Zucchini Bread
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup sunflower or canola oil
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups peeled and shredded zucchini
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350° F/175° C.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer, beat the eggs till fluffy. Add sugar, vanilla and oil. Blend well. Stir in the shredded zucchini.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir little by little into the batter, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into two 9×5 ungreased loaf pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, but start checking at 50 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean.
- Place pans on a wire rack and allow to cool about 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely on the wire rack.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate, or put the wrapped bread into freezer bags and store in the freezer. Will keep for up to three months in the freezer.