My mother has been making this dessert for years, and she often gets requests to take it to parties. It’s one of my guilty pleasures in the summer time, although I only have it about once or twice a year, which is probably a good thing because it would go straight to my hips. It’s a fun, easy dessert that can be pretty much whatever you want it to be, just choose your favorite ice cream or frozen yogurt and nuts. The chocolate sauce is decadent and rich and goes perfectly with pretty much whatever flavor ice cream you choose. I made this one with turtle ice cream and Chocolate Creme Oreos. For a banana split dessert, use banana split ice cream and add sliced bananas on top of the ice cream.
You can make this dessert all in one day, or you can spread the preparation out over two days. Directions for both methods are below.
- 1 (12 ounce) can fat free evaporated milk
- 1 (4 ounce) bar German's Sweet Chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package Oreo cookies, any flavor
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 gallon ice cream or frozen yogurt, any flavor, softened
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup chopped nuts, chef's choice based on the ice cream
- Chocolate Sauce: Combine milk, chocolate, sugar, and butter in a sauce pan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Boil 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Cool and then chill in the refrigerator.
- Put the cookies (including the creamy middles) in the food processor and process for about 30 seconds, until you have medium crumbs. Pour the crumbs into the 9x13 pan and stir in the melted butter. Press the mixture into the bottom of the pan and freeze for an hour or two, until pretty solid.
- On top of frozen cookie crust spread all of the softened ice cream. Press plastic wrap on top of the ice cream and freeze for about three hours, until ice cream is solid.
- Pour cooled chocolate mixture over the ice cream. Freeze for about three hours, until the layer is solid. This is important, otherwise the sauce will run everywhere when you cut and serve. Spread whipped topping over the top and sprinkle with nuts. Keep frozen.
- You can make the cookie crust and the ice cream layer on one day, then freeze overnight and make the chocolate sauce the next day. Just make sure you allow enough time for the chocolate sauce layer to freeze solid.
2 quart sauce pan
Prep time does not include freezing time.