We are big fans of robust Caribbean spices. Allspice, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger are all staples in our pantry and add tons of flavor to both savory and sweet dishes. They are an important part of the iconic jerk spice mix, which we rub all over grilled meats, and they are a perfect addition to meaty stews. This Jamaican chicken stew from Cooking Light is full of flavor and perfect for cold wintry days. Pour it over brown rice and you have a meal in a bowl.
If you have a favorite jerk seasoning mix, you can use it as a substitute for the spices. This stew is a great freezer meal, I just double the recipe and freeze the extra for another night.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion, about 1 medium
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound 454 g boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup 60 ml dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2-1/2 cups 428 g cooked black beans, (or a 15-ounce/425 g can black beans, rinsed and drained)
- 1 14.5-ounce/497 g can diced tomatoes, with juice
- cooked brown rice
- cilantro for garnish
While the rice cooks, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. In the medium bowl, stir together the curry powder, dried thyme, allspice, red pepper, and black pepper, then toss with the chicken pieces. Add the chicken mixture to the pan and sauté 4 minutes. Stir in the wine, capers, beans, and tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Serve over brown rice.
- large skillet
- medium bowl
I like to make a large batch of the spice mix and keep it in the spice pantry for the next time.
More Soup & Stew Recipes
More Jamaican Recipes From Other Blogs
- The Way to His Heart – Jamaican Pork Tenderloin
- Iowa Girl Eats – Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Jamaican Red Beans and Rice
- Chef and Steward – Jamaican Escoveitch Fish
- Girl Cooks World – Jamaican Ginger Beer
[Disclosure: I am a member of the Cooking Light Bloggers’ Connection.][Disclosure: This blog earns a small commission through affiliate links.]