We are big fans of robust Caribbean spices. Allspice, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger are all staples in our pantry and add tons of flavor to both savory and sweet dishes. They are an important part of the iconic jerk spice mix, which we rub all over grilled meats, and they are a perfect addition to meaty stews. This Jamaican chicken stew from Cooking Light is full of flavor from those spices and it's perfect for cold wintry days. Pour it over brown rice and you have a meal in a bowl.
If you have a favorite jerk seasoning mix, you can use it as a substitute for the spices. I like to make a large batch of the spice mix and keep it in the spice pantry for the next time. This stew is a great freezer meal, I just double the recipe and freeze the extra for another night.
Jamaican Chicken Stew
- large skillet
- medium bowl
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast (cut into bite-size pieces)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2½ cups cooked black beans (or a 15-ounce/425 g can black beans, rinsed and drained)
- 14½ ounces canned diced tomatoes (with juice)
- cooked brown rice
- While the rice cooks, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. In the medium bowl, stir together the curry powder, dried thyme, allspice, red pepper, and black pepper, then toss with the chicken pieces. Add the chicken mixture to the pan and sauté 4 minutes. Stir in the wine, capers, beans, and tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Serve over brown rice.
More Soups and Stews
More Jamaican Recipes From Other Blogs
- The Way to His Heart – Jamaican Pork Tenderloin
- Iowa Girl Eats – Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Jamaican Red Beans and Rice
- Chef and Steward - Jamaican Escoveitch Fish
- Girl Cooks World – Jamaican Ginger Beer
[Disclosure: I am a member of the Cooking Light Bloggers' Connection.]
kristy @ the wicked noodle says
Looks delicious as always! I love an easy stew for these cool days we've been having!
Karl Reinhardt says
Looks good, gonna try it tonight. BUT...by serving it over rice, that makes it not compatible with South Beach Phase One. It would be Phase Two, when healthy carbs get reintroduced. Also the beans aren't really recommended on Phase One either. Both of those items, though healthy, are still high in carbs which is what one wants to eliminate in Phase One. (I'm in Phase Two right now.)
I'm excited to try this!