With zucchini in season and a garden full of herbs, I had plenty to work with for creating a quick and easy meal. For this zucchini and mushroom pasta, I sautéed shallots and garlic, tossed in some baby portabella mushrooms and julienne zucchini, added some lemon basil chiffonade, then finished it off with a dry white wine and some grated Parmesan.
Using julienne and thinly sliced vegetables makes the dish cook up faster and adds some visual interest as well. You can find julienne peelers or mandolins at many stores or online, or you can use a very sharp knife and cut thin slices and then stack the slices and thin slice again lengthwise for julienne. To chiffonade the basil, lay the leaves on top of each other, then roll them into a cigar shape. Using a sharp knife, slice across the cigar starting at one end and working your way to the other, making very thin cuts.
Gluten-free pastas that were once difficult to find are now on grocery shelves. I now make this with gluten-free pasta. Always read labels to make sure that a food item is gluten free.
You can user either lemon or Genovese basil, though we liked the fresh light flavor from the lemon basil.
Zucchini and Mushroom Pasta with Lemon Basil
- large skillet
- 8-quart pot with lid
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots (thinly sliced into rings)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 2 medium zucchini (julienned)
- 2 handfuls lemon basil leaves (cut into chiffonade (or you can use Genovese basil))
- 8 ounces dry white wine
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan (or vegan option)
- 16 ounces gluten-free pasta (cooked (Prepare while cooking the vegetables.))
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and garlic, and saute until wilted and limp.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes, then add the zucchini. Cook until the zucchini softens, about 4 minutes.
- Add the basil chiffonade and white wine, and cook until the wine reduces by about one half. Add the grated Parmesan and cook for 2 more minutes. Toss with the cooked pasta.