Spinach and Tortellini Soup
Part of The Kids Cook Monday series.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 quart 1 liter homemade or low-salt chicken broth
- 2- inch piece of rind of Grana Padano or Parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces 170 g fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- 14 ounces 397 g canned diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 10 ounces 284 g spinach, washed and stemmed; coarsely chopped if larger (thawed if from frozen)
- 8 to 10 leaves basil, chiffonade
- grated Grana Padano or Parmesan cheese, for garnish
In the pot, melt the butter and sauté the chopped garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and cheese rind and bring to a boil. Add the tortellini and bring back to a slow boil, cooking the tortellini until it’s about half done, about 5 minutes for frozen, less for fresh.
Add the tomatoes and liquid, reduce the heat and cook at a simmer until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the chopped spinach and basil and cook until the leaves wilt, about 2 more minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish with grated Grana Padano or Parmesan cheese.
4 to 5-quart heavy bottom pot with lid