Middle Eastern Eggplant and Tomato Salad
Adapted from Cooking Light.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 4 to 6 servings
- 2 medium red bell peppers, roasted
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and seeded
- 3 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup 2 ounces/60 ml olive oil
- 1 pound 454 g eggplant, cut into (1-inch) cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In the blender, puree the tomato. Add the tomato past, 2 tablespoons water, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, ground red pepper, and garlic. Blend until smooth.
Heat the oil in the saucepan over medium heat. Add the eggplant and cook until tender, about 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the chopped roasted pepper and the tomato sauce. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining salt and pepper.
You can substitute jarred roasted red peppers if needed.