We truly enjoy strawberry season, and every time I start cleaning another batch of berries the boys are at my elbow begging for some of the juicy red fruits. I have to watch Monkey Boy and Top Gun because they will sneak the berries off to a hidden corner and get the sticky juice all over the furniture and floor.
Like many fruits, strawberries work well in both savory and sweet dishes, and I think they taste great with spinach. Even my picky boys will eat spinach salad if I add some strawberries to it, and I sprinkle a slightly sweetened vinaigrette made with champagne vinegar on top for another splash of flavor. This is a salad that makes a delicious treat for a family meal or guests.
STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD WITH AVOCADO AND CHAMPAGNE VINAIGRETTE
- small bowl or cruet
- salad bowl(s)
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar (or white balsamic vinegar)
- 6 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 ounces baby spinach (washed and patted dry)
- 2 cups strawberries (quartered)
- 1 avocado (thinly sliced)
- 4 ounces goat cheese (crumbled)
- 1/4 cup rough chopped pecans (toasted)
- VINAIGRETTE In the small bowl, whisk together the champagne vinegar, olive oil, honey, and sea salt.
- SALAD: In the salad bowl(s), arrange the ingredients in layers: baby spinach on the bottom, then strawberries, avocado slices, pecans, goat cheese, and pecans. Serve with the vinaigrette.