There’s something about whole baby carrots steamed with the tops on, fork tender and sweet. I adore that delicate flavor and crunch and think they really add beauty to a plate. They are like the little black dress of carrots. And many times they are insanely easy to prepare, like this recipe from Cooking Light.
As always, I adapted the recipe to fit what’s in our garden at the time, so instead of minced garlic I used a thin stalk of baby garlic from our garden, one of several that has popped up, and doubled the cilantro since our cilantro is flourishing right now. The flavor of the baby garlic is interesting, more assertive than our clove garlic, so I didn’t use the full stalk. If you decide to use baby garlic, you may want to taste it and decide how much to use before adding it to the pan.
Michael loved the flavor and the boys came along and wanted to snack on the carrots like finger food as I finished the photos. Can’t beat that for getting the kids to eat their vegetables.
Steamed Baby Carrots with Ginger-Garlic Butter
- steamer pan and insert
- large nonstick sauté pan
- 1 pound baby carrots (with tops, peeled and all but ½-inch of the tops removed)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ thin stalk baby garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Steam the carrots, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In the nonstick skillet, melt the butter and sauté the baby garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in the carrots, cilantro, lime zest, juice, and sea salt.
More Easy Vegetable Recipes
More Carrot Recipes From Around the Blogs
- Cooking on the Side – Vanilla Glazed Baby Carrots
- Food Blogga – Roasted Rainbow Carrots
- White on Rice Couple – Vietnamese Style Pickled Carrots
- The Wicked Noodle – Carrot Soufflé
[Disclosure: I am a member of the Cooking Light Bloggers' Connection.]
Yum! The carrots look fantastic!
the wicked noodle says
These look amazing, A! I love easy recipes like this that pack a lot of flavor. And so healthy, too!
lynn @ the actor's diet says
i love cooked carrots!!! but i'm always too lazy - just eat them raw...
This is such a great recipe -- I love baby carrots, too. I've never thought of combining them with cilantro, so can't wait to try this. Just bought some beautiful carrots at the farmers' market yesterday. Treat for me!
Robert Richards Recipes says
This looks really good and I'm excited to give it a try!
A lovely & tasty way to prepare baby carrots! I agree! My husband & I loved this tasty dish a lot! 😉
We have these gorgeous carrots featured on our site today for Mouth Watering Mondays. Come on over to see them at http://www.noshingwiththenolands.com Cheers, Tara