For something seasonal, skip the chocolate fountain and serve a colorful fruit fondue for your New Years Eve party. This spiked fondue lends some beautiful color to a New Years Eve buffet and and is an easy and fun dessert. For dippers, set out apple wedges, dried pineapple slices, panettone or fruit cake chunks, or madeleines.
Spiked Orange Cranberry Fondue
- 1½ cups cabernet sauvignon or other dry red wine
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick about 3 inches (8 cm) long
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- panettone cubed
- fruit cake cubed
- apple wedges
- pear wedges
- sugared pineapple slices
- gingerbread slices
- In the sauce pan, combine the cabernet sauvignon, sugar, and orange juice. Stir and add the cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Add the cranberries and stir, cooking over medium heat.
- In the small bowl, stir together the Grand Marnier and cornstarch. When the cranberry mixture reaches a boil, stir in the cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. The mixture should thicken slightly.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and transfer to a ceramic fondue pot. Set over a low flame, such as a tea light and serve with dippers.