When I first had this cabbage salad in Saipan, I thought it was an island favorite and I asked around for the recipe. Imagine my surprise when I came back to the U.S. years later and learned that the ramen noodle salad was almost ubiquitous. It’s still a favorite around our house, and it makes a great salad for summer cookouts since there is no dairy in the dressing. I originally made this with seasoned rice vinegar, but I think it also tastes great with apple cider vinegar.
[Updated June 13, 2012.]
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) olive oil
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 package Ramen noodles, crumbled (minus the seasoning pouch)
- Put chopped cabbage and green onions together in a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Combine all the vinaigrette ingredients in a jar or cruet and shake well.
- Just before serving, pour all of the vinaigrette over the cabbage and onions and toss well. Toss in the sesame seeds and almonds, and sprinkle the crumbled Ramen noodles on top.
jar with a lid or cruet
large bowl with lid
You can prepare everything a day ahead and keep in the refrigerator, then stir in the vinaigrette, sesame seeds, and almonds just before serving.
[Disclosure: This blog earns a small commission through affiliate links.]