Is Sunday dinner/supper the most important meal of the week for your family? It was when I was growing up. I always looked forward to Mom’s pot roast, or fried chicken, or whatever special she had planned for the day. Sometimes Dad had to go to work, but I remember sitting down together as a family on most Sundays to enjoy Mom’s cooking. I don’t know why, but Sunday dinners are more casual for us now. I don’t often do big meals, and when I do I still try to keep them simple, but sometimes a celebration is in order. And this was a celebration meal, so I went all out and had bacon with my pork tenderloin. Yes, it’s a bit indulgent, but it also serves a purpose, keeping the tenderloin moist while it roasts. Trust me, if you like pork, you won’t regret it. And it’s still an easy meal and elegant meal.
Pork tenderloins usually come in packages of two, though one is enough for our family. I prep both and freeze one for another meal, but of course use both if I’m cooking for a crowd. I like to make my own spice mixes and rubs. If you prefer to purchase a spice mix, I highly recommend Penzeys Bavarian Style Seasoning.
ROASTED BACON-WRAPPED PORK TENDERLOIN
- roasting pan lined with foil
- wire roasting rack
- 1 pork tenderloin (trimmed)
- 1 tablespoon Bavarian seasoning mix
- 4 slices bacon (cut in half)
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 bay leaf (ground)
- Preheat the oven to 425° F/220° C.
- Rub the seasoning mix all over the tenderloin. Wrap the bacon pieces around the tenderloin and pin in place with toothpicks. Place the roasting rack in the pan and coat with cooking spray, then lay the tenderloin on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a meat thermometer registers 155 F, about 25 minutes. Move the oven rack to the upper third of the oven and set it for broil. Broil the meat until the bacon crisps, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and cover the pork with foil, allow to rest about 10 minutes.