It’s here! This week we celebrate my third blog anniversary and my birthday. January 7, 2006 was the day I found the first comment on my little online cooking database—it had been there for a couple weeks—and suddenly I realized I had a cooking blog. It’s also the day I found out I was pregnant with Monkey Boy, but that’s another story. Since we have two big things to celebrate I thought it would be fun to have some giveaways, so be on the lookout for at least one giveaway each week through the end of the month. This week’s giveaway is sponsored by Stonyfield Farm.
I’ll say this right up front: we are a family of yogurt eaters, and Stonyfield Farm is my favorite yogurt. I got hooked on the French Vanilla years ago and have been eating and cooking with their yogurts ever since. This pancake recipe from the Stonyfield website uses plain yogurt and pumpkin puree to make easy and fluffy pancakes. These are a family favorite and a great way to finish off any leftover pumpkin from holiday baking. Use fresh homemade puree or canned, whatever suits you.
This week’s prize package from Stonyfield Farm includes $50 worth of coupons for free delicious and healthy Stonyfield Farm yogurt, a reusable shopping bag, oven mitt, and spatula.
If you want to win this package, leave a comment telling us about your favorite recipe that uses yogurt. Please make sure your email address is correct so I can contact you if you are the lucky winner. Apologies to my international readers, but the prize can only be shipped within the continental U.S. The contest closes at midnight EST on January 7, and Random.org will select the winner. Look for the announcement of the winner in this post later this week.
UPDATE: Congratulations to Rhonda, comment #13, the winner of the giveaway! Thanks to everyone for entering.
- large mixing bowl
- small mixing bowl
- griddle or large skillet
- butter or nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (my addition)
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves (my addition)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I use fat-free.)
- 3/4 cup low fat or skim milk (I use 2%.)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not the canned pumpkin pie mix)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- In a the small bowl, beat the eggs, then add the vanilla, yogurt, milk and pumpkin puree. Mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until all the flour is blended in, but don't beat it.
- Spoon the batter onto a preheated, oiled griddle, using 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook pancakes slowly over a medium heat for 3 minutes, when bubbles break on the surface and the edges are set. Flip and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Keep warm on a covered plate while cooking the rest. Serve with maple syrup.