I grew up in a meat and potatoes family, but about 15 years ago, I decided to reduce the amount of meat I consumed. I started eating more beans and legumes and adding more vegetables to my diet. At the time I was struggling with my weight, and over the course of a year I changed how I eat and started walking on a treadmill or bicycling almost every day. I lost 55 pounds that year. All these years later, I still keep to that regime, even if my weight hasn’t always stayed where I want it. Many of the dishes I make for my family are vegetarian, and I usually prepare healthy lean meats just once a week. My guys really enjoy the vegetarian Mexican dishes we eat, like these vegetarian tacos with vegetarian refried beans, mushrooms, and zucchini.
I originally created this recipe for the Old El Paso website recipes section, which has since been updated. So I am sharing it with you.
Paring fresh vegetables with vegetarian refried beans makes healthy and hearty tacos. The vegetables soften quickly, so watch cooking times carefully. You won’t need to add any water because the vegetables will release some liquid while cooking.
Mushroom and Zucchini Vegetarian Tacos
- large nonstick skillet
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms (cut into ½-inch pieces)
- 1 pound fresh zucchini (cut into ½-inch pieces)
- 1 green bell pepper (seeded and rough chopped)
- 1 package Old El Paso Mild Seasoning Mix
- 16 ounce can Old El Paso Vegetarian Refried Beans
- 12 Old El Paso Taco Shells
- green leaf lettuce leaves
- sliced red bell pepper
- cilantro leaves
- Warm the sunflower oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions until they soften, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté until they start to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the zucchini and the chopped peppers and sauté until they begin to release liquid, about 3 minutes. Add the Old El Paso Low-Sodium Seasoning Mix and stir. Continue to cook until the mixture starts to simmer, about 3 to 4 more minutes. The zucchini may continue to release liquid while it cooks.
- Serve with the cooked Old El Paso Vegetarian Refried Beans, Old El Paso Taco Shells, and the rest of the accompaniments.