While doing the South Beach Diet, I’m working very hard to make things that we all can enjoy and are healthy. This miso salmon is one of my favorite recipes I’ve tried recently, and it’s easy and fast to boot, so it makes an great weeknight dish. The fish is marinated in miso, mirin, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and scallions, and quickly grilled. You can make this with either skinless or skin-on salmon steaks. Serve the salmon as whole steaks or sliced on top of a bed of greens, either way you’ll have a quick, tasty, and healthy meal.
We enjoy grilling year round, but some days it really is too cold to cook outdoors, and for those times we use a grill pan on the cooktop. I recently tested a Scanpan Professional Grill Pan, and in fact made this salmon dish on the Scanpan. You can read my review of the Scanpan Professional Grill Pan.
For this final week of celebrating the third anniversary of Andrea’s Recipes, I have one fabulous grill pan (right) just like the one in my review to give away, courtesy of Scanpan. To enter the contest, just leave a comment telling us about your favorite grilled food. Please make sure your email address is correct so I can contact you if you are the lucky winner. Apologies to my international readers, but the pan can only be shipped within the continental U.S. The contest closes at 9 pm EST on Thursday January 29, and Random.org will select the winner. Look for the announcement of the winner in this post soon after.
UPDATE: Congratulations to Cristina, comment #28, the winner of the Scanpan grill pan! Thanks to everyone who entered.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white miso (shiromiso, fermented soybean paste)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) mirin (rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 4 (8-ounce/) salmon fillets
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- yuzu juice, for drizzling (optional or substitute orange juice)
- MARINADE: Whisk together the miso, mirin, vinegar, soy sauce, green onions, ginger, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Place the salmon in a baking dish or plastic bag, pour the marinade over, and turn to coat. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- GRILL: Heat grill pan to medium-high. Remove the fish from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Grill the salmon, skin side down, until it is golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the salmon over and continue grilling for 3 to 4 minutes for medium doneness. Drizzle with a little yuzu or orange juice and serve.
grill or grill pan
plastic bag or baking dish
On a grill: Grill the salmon, skin side down, with the cover closed, until it is golden brown and a crust has formed, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the salmon over and continue grilling for 3 to 4 minutes for medium doneness.