A holiday celebration without hot mulled drinks is just incomplete to me. The fragrance is almost irresistible and just seems to make the holidays even more special. I like this version with a splash of spiced rum, but you can leave out the alcohol and still have a tasty mug of holiday cheer.
Hot Cranberry Apple Cider
- 6 quart pot
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1-½ quarts cranberry juice (not cocktail, no sugar added)
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 4 sticks cinnamon
- 1-½ teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 orange (thinly sliced)
- spiced rum or cinnamon schnapps
- Combine all the ingredients in the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Strain the fruit slices and spices. Garnish with two or three fresh slices of orange.
- Pour into stemmed mugs and add a shot of spiced rum or cinnamon schnapps. Serve hot.