After four years, Grow Your Own has come to an end. We are so thankful for all the people who supported the event.
[Updated August 17, 2011.]
What's Grow Your Own?
Grow Your Own is a blogging event that celebrates the foods we grow or raise ourselves and the dishes we make using our homegrown products. Anyone with a blog can participate! Do you write a food blog? A gardening blog? A farm blog? A hunting or foraging blog? An eco blog? A frugal blog? Anything whatsoever related to home and garden or fun activities to do with children? You can write a post about some of the edibles you have raised, grown, or found and cooked with. Having a food blog is not a requirement for participation.
Rules (They are really simple, I promise.)
- Make a dish that uses at least one item from your very own garden or farm and post about it. Your garden doesn't have to be big, container gardens are welcome! If you hunted or foraged, those items are also eligible. You can also use something that was given to you, but the giver must have personally grown or raised the item. If you paid for it, then it doesn't count.
- Anything edible that you have grown or raised qualifies, including fruits, vegetables, herbs, sprouts, edible flowers, nuts, grains, legumes, dairy products, eggs, livestock, fish, and anything else I might have forgotten. Produce from both indoor and outdoor gardens are welcome, as well as dishes that use foods you have preserved by freezing, canning, or drying. Different regions will have different things available, so feel free to feature things unique to your area. (Rambutan trees, anyone?) We like to celebrate variety!
- Please make sure your dish is posted during the month of the event. One post per blog, please.
- As a courtesy, please include a link to this announcement in your blog post, and then update later with a link to the round-up.
- If you want to include one of the Grow Your Own badges in your post, feel free to grab one from below. (Please upload to your own server/image repository.) Logos professionally designed by Jeff Meyers.
I Want to Participate!
To include your post in the round-up, send an email to the host by the last day of each month with the following information:
- Subject line: Grow Your Own #
- Your name and location (country, state if applicable)
- Your blog URL
- Permalink to your post
- 300×300 pixel photo of your dish (As long as the photo is no larger than 300 pixels in either direction, it will work.)
The host will post a round-up of all our dishes within a few days after the deadline, of course subject to any other events in life, acts of God, etc. To find out who's hosting each round, visit the Grow Your Own Hosting page.
For an event like this it's useful and interesting to see what is fresh and available from different regions, so please make sure you include the location information when you submit your entry.
It's hard to keep track of posts if we don't receive an email, so please remember to email your information to your host. We feel bad if we miss your post!
I Want to Host Grow Your Own!
If you would like to host, please send a message through the contact form. To be considered for hosting, you must participate in the event at least one time prior.
Questions? Please ask in the comments!
All the Grow Your Own Roundups
July 30, 2008, #13
September 15, 2008, #16
October 15, 2008, #18
September 30, 2009, #36
July 30, 2010, #43
BADGES (200 pixels wide)
SMALLER BADGES (good for sidebars, 150 pixels wide)
[Disclosure: This blog earns a small commission through affiliate links.]