Grilled vegetables have become a favorite at our home, partly because of the flavor and partly because they are often easy to prepare. Our boys help with slicing the vegetables and mixing the marinades, and Michael or I take over at the grill.
I’ve tried several different knives with the boys, and our favorite is the Victorinox Wavy Edge Round Tip Steak Knife. The handle is small enough for beginners to hold easily, and the wavy/serrated edge slices neatly through pretty much anything. The rounded tip provides a measure of safety similar to blunt tip scissors, but remember it is a sharp knife, so be sure to teach knife safety and remind your young chefs to keep their fingers back. (See how Hockey Guy needed another reminder in the photo below!)
Here’s how to make grilled zucchini with an herb marinade, as demonstrated by Hockey Guy (9) and Monkey Boy (5).
Slice the zucchini into thick slices, about ½-inch. If the zucchini is skinny, slice it diagonally.
Put the zucchini slices into a gallon plastic zipper bag.
Mix the marinade and pour it into the bag with the zucchini. Allow to marinade for 2 hours or more, then grill and serve.
Make sure to visit The Kids Cook Monday for more recipes to cook with your kids, and check out the rest of our Kids Cook Monday recipes below.
Grilled Zucchini with Herb Marinade
- gallon zipper bag
- grill basket (optional)
- 3 large zucchini (thick sliced)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (leaves removed)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Put the sliced zucchini into the zipper bag. Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, white balsamic vinegar, rosemary leaves, thyme leaves, sea salt, and ground black pepper, and pour over the zucchini. Press the air out and seal, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the grill. Rub the grill grates with oil and lay each slice of zucchini on the grill, reserving the marinade, and cook over medium-high heat, turning after about 2 minutes to 3 minutes. If you have smaller pieces, you can put those in a grill basket. Brush the reserved marinade on the zucchini slices after turning. Transfer finished zucchini to a bowl or platter and drizzle with the reserved marinade, then serve.
More Kids Cook Monday Recipes
For the complete list of The Kids Cook Monday recipes, visit my Cooking with Kids page.
More Zucchini Recipes From Other Blogs
- Panini Happy – Grilled Ratatouille Panini
- A Full Measure of Happiness – Zucchini Fritters
- Kalyn’s Kitchen - Spicy Grilled Eggplant and Zucchini Salad with Thai Flavors
- Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice - Oven Fried Zucchini Chips with Basil Dipping Sauce