“All right, do it up.”
Michael listened as I described the flavor and texture of a chia fresca, and even though he put on his game face and said he would try the grapefruit and chia drink I had mixed up, I could tell that he wasn’t exactly looking forward to it. He was taking one for the team. Hockey Guy had sampled it earlier and said that we need to make more “grapefruitade” this summer because he thought it was pretty good and wanted to know if there was any left. I poured Michael a small glass over ice and set it down on the counter. He picked it up and eyed it closely, saying it look like gelatin. Then in a few gulps, he downed the whole thing and nodded.
“Not bad.” Yes, not bad at all.
Chia fresca is a very refreshing drink from Mexico, which usually has fruit, water, a little sugar, and chia seeds. The seeds come from the chia plant, which is actually an annual herb. The seeds are loaded with nutrients, including omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, protein, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and manganese, all of which make this drink pretty good for you as well as tasty for a hot day. I’ve had it made with limes and lemons, and I thought a grapefruit version would be particularly good. And since limes will be in short supply this year due to weather problems and disease, alternative fruits are a good idea to consider.
Other fruits work well: limes, lemons, oranges, berries. Adjust sugar/sweetener to taste when changing fruits.
Try other sweeteners such as agave or stevia.
For something festive, try using less water in preparation then serving with sparkling water splashed in each glass.
Grapefruit and Chia Drink (Chia Fresca con Toronja)
- 6-cup blender
- `2-quart pitcher
- 2 large grapefruits (juiced)
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- Put the grapefruit juice, water, and sugar in a blender, and blend until smooth. Add more sugar to taste (optional). Pour into the pitcher. Stir in the chia seeds, and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 1 hour. Stir again before serving.
More Fruity Beverages
More Chia Drink Recipes From Other Blogs
- Busy Mommy – Raspberry Lemonade Chia Drink
- Girlichef – Blackberry Chia Agua Fresca
- The Chic Life – Refreshing Blueberry Chia Fizz Drink
- Oh My Veggies – Pomegranate Lime Chia Fresca