For many meals, I like to go light and easy. If it's also fast, that's even better. One of my favorite super fast meals is my Spicy Shrimp Salad. We just toss the shrimp in chili powder and sauté it, put it in a bowl with lettuce and avocado, drizzle a little of the chili oil from the pan over it all and give it a squeeze of lime. A good fast meal in nothing flat. It makes a great lunch or light dinner.
If you can’t do shellfish, you can substitute a firm white fish that has been cut into bite size chunks.
Spicy Shrimp Salad
- large skillet
- 12 ounces medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 tablespoons light olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 small head lettuce (shredded)
- 1 avocado (peeled, pitted, and cut into small chunks)
- 1 lime (cut into wedges)
- Season the shrimp with the chili powder.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until pink, about 4 minutes. Add the sea salt and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Divide the lettuce among 4 large salad bowls and top with the avocado chunks. Add cooked shrimp to each bowl, then top each with 1 tablespoon of the chili oil from the skillet and squeeze a couple of the lime wedges over each salad. Serve immediately.