To help make your holiday planning easier, Good Bite has teamed with Betty Crocker to create some delicious dishes and cooking videos. My first holiday dish has a flavorful twist: I pep up mashed sweet potatoes with Moroccan spices. The flavor is slightly spicy with a dash of sweet, and the potatoes come out rich and creamy with some Greek yogurt added. We like them with ham or turkey and they are always a hit at holiday meals. Watch Kristin Olson from Betty Crocker Kitchens demonstrate how to make the potatoes.
You can find my recipe for Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Moroccan Spices below or at BettyCrocker.com, and be sure to keep checking Good Bite and Betty Crocker for more dishes from Good Bite contributors this holiday season.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Moroccan Spices
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1-1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 4 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Place the sweet potatoes in 4-quart saucepan, and add water to cover. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return to pan. Add 1 cup of the Greek yogurt, the butter, 3 tablespoons of the brown sugar, the salt and remaining spices. Mash with potato masher until smooth.
- In small bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup Greek yogurt and remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar until smooth. Serve potatoes warm, topped with sweetened yogurt and chives.
[Disclosure: This blog earns a small commission through affiliate links.]