We love garlic and add large quantities of it to pretty much anything we cook, including mashed potatoes. We use at least six cloves for these potatoes, and sometimes more. And the recipe is very flexible. We have three other variations that we do just to change things up a bit. Feel free to share any variations you come up with!
[Updated November 23, 2009.]
- 6-8 Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and cubed
- 6 cloves garlic
- 32 ounces (~1 liter) low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 8 tablespoons (113 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk, or more if needed
- Add potatoes and garlic cloves to a large pot. Pour in chicken broth and add just enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain the liquid.
- Mash with potato masher and add butter. Mash some more, adding sour cream and milk to desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with a sprinkling of paprika and parsley.
8 quart pot
Stir in some bacon bits (real, not fake) and some cheddar cheese.
Stir in Parmesan cheese.
Roast the garlic and add to the potatoes once they cook.