It’s the middle of January, and how are you doing on that resolution to get healthy and drop those holiday indulgence pounds? It’s hard to stick with it, believe me I know. I can keep up my exercise goals, but staying away from sweets is the most difficult part for me, especially after a month of celebration meals and all the delicious cookies, pies, and other treats that come with that time of year. After the holidays I have to get zealous about reducing calories, and in addition to going on a vegetable binge, I use Truvia® in things that I would typically sweeten with sugar, such as tea, coffee, lemonade, and yes even baked goods like these Raspberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars, which my guys adore.
It’s easy to use Truvia® Natural Sweetener in your beverages and savory dishes, just check out their conversion chart which explains how much to use in place of sugar in your favorite recipes.
Cutting sugar in baked goods is a little different because it’s not just about taste, but also about volume and ratios, and I’ve found the Truvia® Baking Blend works well in many of the things I bake. The product is a mix of stevia powder from the stevia plant, erythritol (a natural sugar alcohol derived from fruits), and sugar. On a sweetness scale, 1/2 cup of Truvia® Baking Blend is the equivalent of 1 cup of sugar, but with only 190 calories versus 760. That’s a huge difference.
Because I use and like their products, I have partnered with Truvia® this January to help my readers stay committed to your health goals. From January 9th to January 31st, 2014, you can take the #StayTRU pledge to stick to your resolutions. And for taking the pledge, you will receive a Truvia® coupon and be entered to win a number of great prizes such as an AMEX gift card, $500 toward a Personal Trainer, and a Pampering SpaFinder Gift Card. Visit their Facebook page and enter the Truvia® Stay TRU to YOU Sweepstakes for a chance to win. You can also go to their website to request a free sample of Truvia®.
Raspberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars
- stand mixer with paddle attachment, or hand mixer and large bowl
- 9×13 baking pan, greased
- 2-quart bowl
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Truvía® Baking Blend
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup Truvía® Baking Blend
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- Preheat the oven to 325° F/165° C
- In the bowl of the stand mixer, mix together the oats, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, Truvía® Baking Blend, cinnamon, and salt. Add the unsalted butter and vanilla extract, and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Pour 2/3 of the oatmeal mixture into the prepared baking pan and press it down firmly, forming a crust.
- In the 2-quart bowl, toss the raspberries with the Truvía® Baking Blend, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and corn starch. Spread the raspberry mixture evenly over the oatmeal crust. Sprinkle the remaining oatmeal mixture over the raspberry filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the oatmeal topping is golden brown, about 35 for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then serve.