We keep quite a few different kinds of hot sauce in our pantry, and one of my favorites is Cholula, that familiar bottle you see on the table in restaurants all over the country. We usually have a couple bottles on hand, my favorites being the Chipotle and the Chili Garlic, and we use them in all sorts of dishes. We shake it over eggs, chili, soups, tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, burgers, add it to marinades and sauces, you name it.
In this hot and spicy crab dip, which is great Super Bowl party food, I combined four teaspoons of Cholula with a minced jalapeño for some spicy goodness with the cream cheese and the crab. Michael thought it tasted great, the crab flavor came through, and the heat was safe for party fare. But if you really like it hot, you could go for more heat and douse on the Cholula and add another jalapeño.
When it’s all hot, bubbly, and good, bring it out of the oven and have a basket of your favorite tortilla chips on the buffet table for dipping.
Cholula hot sauces are naturally gluten free. Make sure to check your brand of mayonnaise and sour cream to make sure that they are also gluten free.
Hot and Spicy Crab Dip
- medium mixing bowl
- hand mixer
- 9x9 baking dish, lightly coated with cooking spray
- 16 ounces light cream cheese (softened)
- ½ cup light sour cream (I suggest Daisy brand.)
- ¼ cup gluten-free mayonnaise
- 1 medium yellow onion (minced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (seeded and minced)
- 4 teaspoons Cholula Hot Sauce (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 18 ounces canned lump crab meat (drained and separated)
- ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Place the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350° F/175° C.
- Using the hand mixer, mix the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise in the mixing bowl until thoroughly combined. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeño, and Cholula, and continue mixing until combined. Stir in the crab meat.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared baking dish, then sprinkle the grated cheese around the top. Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted and lightly browned and the crab mixture is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool about 5 to 10 minutes, then serve.