Our spice cabinet is chock full, and although some spices see more use more than others our quick taco seasoning mix goes into a variety of dishes and makes it easy to whip up these fish tacos in a jiffy. Even on a busy weeknight, we can literally have dinner on the table in about 15 minutes which almost makes up for not having a good taco truck anywhere nearby.
We keep a jar of taco seasoning mixed up and ready to go, all we have to do is toss some mahi mahi or other firm white fish chunks in it, sauté, and it’s ready to serve. Try our mix or come up with your own using your favorite Mexican flavors. Start with chili powder, cumin, garlic, and chipotle pepper powder (or dried chipotle peppers if you find them in a store), and then play around with amounts and other ingredients until you have a flavor profile you like.
The spice mix will keep fresh for several months in the pantry in a jar with a tight lid.
Fast Fish Tacos with Spicy Chipotle Seasoning
- shaker jar with lid
- glass pie plate or other container for marinating
- large nonstick skillet
- 4 filets mahi mahi ( or other firm white fish, cut into bite size chunks)
- taco seasoning (recipe below or use your own)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
Spicy Chipotle Taco Seasoning Mix (small batch)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- sliced avocados
- lime wedges
- gluten-free flour or corn tortillas (or other tortillas)
- sliced onions
- Mix up the taco seasoning and keep it in a shaker jar with a tight lid.
- Sprinkle the seasoning over the fish, tossing to coat.
- Warm the oil in the skillet and add the seasoned fish. Sauté, stirring occasionally until the fish is cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer cooked fish to a warm bowl and serve with the suggested accompaniments.
That sounds delicious! I love that kind of spicy dish!
Everything tastes better with a bit of chipotle! I always have chipotle powder, dried peppers, and canned chipotles in adobo in the pantry.
colleen @ foodietots says
Yum! That looks so good. And what a good suggestion to mix up your own taco seasoning -- definitely adding that to my to do list.