Juicy cucumbers are one of my favorite summer vegetables, and I like to slice one up and eat it with a bit of salt for an afternoon snack, but using them as a base for salads is my favorite way to eat them. We’ve been on a cucumber salad binge lately, trying different vegetable combinations and vinaigrettes, and this is by far our favorite to date. The Thai vinaigrette gets a little kick from crushed red peppers (pepper flakes), which you can adjust to your taste. Make sure you use an unseasoned rice vinegar because the seasoned kind has added sugar and salt.
If you eat gluten free, read labels to make sure that the rice vinegar and the fish sauce are gluten free.
Cucumber Salad with Tomato, Bell Pepper, and Spicy Thai Lime Vinaigrette
- cruet or small jar with lid
- 2 cucumbers (peeled and julienned)
- 12 cherry or grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (seeded and cut into thin strips)
- 1/2 cup shredded or julienned carrot
- cilantro sprigs (for garnish)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup gluten-free unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Add the lime juice, rice vinegar, sugar, fish sauce, minced garlic, pepper flakes, and sea salt in a cruet or small jar with a lid. Cover and shake well.
- Toss the cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper strips, and carrots in a serving bowl and drizzle with some of the dressing. Top with cilantro sprigs for garnish and serve with the remaining vinaigrette on the side.