This creamed spinach is heavenly. Wonderful comfort food and a kid pleaser! My kids wolf this down and ask for seconds. We eat this with just about any cajun dish, but it’s also good with pasta dishes. For more variety, I sometimes add 4 ounces of mushrooms and saute them with the onion and garlic.
[Updated February 6, 2009]
- 2 to 3 quart/liter glass baking dish, lightly coated with cooking spray
- large saute pan
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 6 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 pounds frozen spinach, thawed and well drained (or 3 pounds/1.5 kilos fresh spinach, washed, stemmed and finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350° F/175° C.
- In the large saute pan, melt the butter. Add onions and cook over medium to medium-high heat until onions start to caramelize. Add the garlic and saute until garlic starts to turn golden.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the spinach and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute for 3 or 4 minutes. Add the cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cream thickens.
- Remove from heat and transfer into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle the top with cheese and place in the oven. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly.