This creamed spinach is heavenly. Wonderful comfort food and a kid pleaser! My kids wolf this down and ask for seconds. We eat this with just about any Cajun dish, but it’s also good with pasta dishes, and we love it with ham or turkey at holiday meals. For more variety, I sometimes add 4 ounces of mushrooms and sauté them with the onion and garlic.
[Updated February 6, 2009]
- 2 to 3 quart/liter glass baking dish, lightly coated with cooking spray
- large saute pan
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 6 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 pounds frozen spinach (thawed and well drained (or 3 pounds/1.5 kilos fresh spinach, washed, stemmed and finely chopped))
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350° F/175° C.
- In the large saute pan, melt the butter. Add onions and cook over medium to medium-high heat until onions start to caramelize. Add the garlic and saute until garlic starts to turn golden.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the spinach and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute for 3 or 4 minutes. Add the cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cream thickens.
- Remove from heat and transfer into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle the top with cheese and place in the oven. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly.
Calories: 532kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 48g | Saturated Fat: 30g | Cholesterol: 163mg | Sodium: 476mg | Potassium: 658mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 19449IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 530mg | Iron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Share in the comments!
I tried this recipe today. It was excellent. Thanks!
Great, I'm so glad you liked it! We had it with our Christmas dinner this year (ham, fried apples, etc), and my boys kept asking for more (and I still didn't manage to snap a photo for this post.) 🙂