In our house, cranberry sauce is a must for a Thanksgiving turkey, and this recipe is very flavorful. The sweet apples provide a nice balance to the tart cranberries, and you can sense the overtones of the ginger but it doesn't overwhelm. And making this couldn't be easier, you just put all the ingredients in the pot and simmer for 30 minutes then let it get cold. I make this a day or two before and let it chill in the refrigerator.
[Updated November 2014.]
Cranberry, Apple, and Ginger Chutney
- 3 quart pot
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen whole cranberries
- 2 crisp sweet red apples (peeled, cored and sliced 1-inch thick)
- 2 inch piece ginger (peeled and finely grated)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- Add ingredients to a large pot and simmer for about 30 minutes. The mixture will soften, reduce and thicken. Cool completely before serving. Keep covered in the refrigerator.