Michael goes through phases in traveling with his job. Some months he's only gone a day or two here and there, and others he's gone for a week or more. Those weeks when he's gone, like this one, I find myself dropping everything, including cooking, just to keep up with the kids. And this week it's a real challenge since Mommy is sick with a yucky cold.
So what does a Mom who loves to cook do when she is sick and exhausted from keeping up with three little boys but still has to feed them and herself? First, I fix myself a nice hot lemon toddy several times a day! Then for our meals, I clean out the refrigerator, thaw stuff from the freezer, and prepare very simple favorites. The Day 1 plan is always to finish any leftovers in the refrigerator, and then the rest of the week we may have any of the following:
- Homemade soups stored in the freezer. We usually have chicken noodle soup on hand, which is always a favorite for the boys, but we may also have any of the following: beef barley, corn chowder, ajiaco, chicken tortilla, black bean, cream of baked potato, cream of roasted tomato, winter minestrone, and curried lentil and potato stew.
- Thaw out some spaghetti sauce and warm it up, then toss with cooked pasta or make a baked pasta if I'm feeling particularly daring.
- Make breakfast for dinner. It's always a treat for the kids when we have pancakes, and I never have to worry about whether or not they'll eat on those nights. Make them even more fun by adding bananas, blueberries, or cinnamon and raisins.
- Make fruit and yogurt smoothies.
- Treat myself to some sushi from the Wegman's sushi counter.
- Desperate measures may call for pizza delivery from a local parlor that is pretty good. I reserve this for later in the week when I'm more likely to be absolutely worn out from chasing after my boys!