We are counting down the last few weeks of school, and it seems like everything is hitting all at once. End of year field trips, SOL testing, hockey team events, Scout stuff, plus extended family celebrations like my parents’ 50th anniversary. I’m trying to balance everything, to keep all the plates spinning and the balls in the air. You know what that’s like, right? Everyone rushes home, grabs a sandwich or whatever is in the refrigerator, then dashes back out the door. Having dinner together is becoming a challenge, and I find myself grateful for the coming summer vacation.
So I’m whipping out our favorite fast meals, the food that’s healthy and tasty and on the table in 30 minutes or less. Curry in 30 minutes or less? Oh yes, this easy chickpea curry from Cooking Light can be on the table in a flash. The only real work is chopping the onions and making the beans if you prefer to make them at home, otherwise you just open cans of beans and tomatoes and pull spinach out of the bag. I make a big batch of brown rice or quinoa once a week and reheat it for leftovers on super busy days. The garam masala spice mix packs a peppery punch and adds plenty of good flavor to the dish, and all those spices are good for you, too.
My guys like lots of sauce for their curry, so I double the crushed tomatoes and add a 15-ounce can of petite diced tomatoes. To balance the flavors, I also double the onion and add more garam masala. It’s flavorful enough for the family, and those who like heat douse it with hot sauce.
You can purchase garam masala in international grocery stores or possibly in the international food aisle at well-stocked grocery stores. Or you can make your own and keep a bottle in the pantry.
You can use a diced fresh tomato in place of canned diced tomatoes.
You can also serve with brown jasmine rice or quinoa.
Chickpea Curry with Spinach and Tomatoes
- 6-quart heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 large onions, (diced)
- 2 ½ teaspoons garam masala, (or more to taste)
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 (15-ounce/425 g) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained)
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounces canned petite diced tomatoes
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup plain lowfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- brown basmati rice
- Warm the pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garam masala and cook just 30 seconds. Add the chickpeas, crushed tomatoes, and diced tomatoes. Cook until the beans are hot, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until it wilts, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the yogurt and sea salt. Serve with rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.
More Fast and Healthy Dinner Recipes
More Fast and Healthy Recipes From Other Blogs
- The Wicked Noodle – Spicy Garlic Shrimp
- Food Fanatic – Spring Vegetable Pad Thai
- Hidden Fruits and Veggies – Grilled Zucchini Sandwich with Herb Cheese Spread
- Apron and Sneakers – 10-Minute Pan-Seared Scallops with Champagne Sauce
[Disclosure: I am a member of the Cooking Light Bloggers’ Connection.][Disclosure: This blog earns a small commission through affiliate links.]