There’s only two more weeks until The Fit Foodie 5K Race Weekend here in Fairfax, Virginia, and my feet have been hitting the pavement several times a week to prepare. It’s a pretty big day for me because this is my first 5K since starting cancer treatment last year. My break from cancer treatment is coming to an end, so I am enjoying this last month before we have to start again.
I like to eat healthy, but this past year has really put the whole idea of “healthy” in specific relief for me. Though we have fun and indulge for special occasions, I have spent many, many hours studying ways to fine-tune our meals to keep them as healthy as possible, and frankly easy for me to prepare because cancer treatment can be exhausting. Though I normally love to cook, some days it’s really hard to muster the energy to face the food preparation and the ensuing clean up. For summer, salads and sandwiches make life much easier, and we really like this sandwich recipe for chicken salad with almonds and rosemary from the Cooking Light Dinnertime Survival Guide. The flavors appeal to me, with fresh rosemary and green onions from our garden, plus tangy Dijon mustard and smoked almonds for crunch. We pile it on buns or whole grain bread and have a side salad with it, a great meal for hot summer days, and it gives me a good protein boost for my exercise routine.
Make it gluten free using GF buns and rolls. Also make sure that the mayonnaise is gluten free.
You can make this a day ahead and keep in the refrigerator until time to eat. Try it with other nuts, such as pistachios.
If you don't have any leftover roasted chicken, use rotisserie chicken.
Chicken Salad with Almonds and Rosemary
- medium bowl
- 12 ounces roasted boneless skinless chicken breast (chopped)
- 4 green onions (chopped)
- ¼ cup chopped smoked almonds
- ¼ cup plain fat-free yogurt
- ¼ cup gluten-free mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 gluten-free bread or buns
- In the medium bowl, stir together the chicken, green onions, almond, yogurt, mayonnaise, rosemary, Dijon mustard, sea salt, and black pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use. Serve on bread or buns, or on top of a pile of greens.
More Healthy Sandwiches
More Sandwich Recipes From Other Blogs
- The Healthy Maven – Avocado Tuna Salad
- Panini Happy – Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Panini
- Jessiker Bakes – Caprese Sandwich with Parsley Pesto
- The Perfect Pantry – Grilled Portabello Mushroom and Goat Cheese Sandwich
[Disclosure: I am a member of the Cooking Light Bloggers' Connection.]