My mother first got me hooked on oatmeal cookies as a child, especially chewy oatmeal cookies. After trying many recipes over the years, I came up with my own version with slivered almonds and toffee bits. These are yummy and easy.
Chewy Oatmeal Cookies with Almonds and Toffee Chips
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups whole rolled oats old-fashioned
- 1 cup toffee chips
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In bowl of stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Beat in eggs until well blended, then mix in vanilla.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together flour, salt, soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Add to butter mixture and mix on low setting until well combined.
- Fold in oats, toffee chips, and almonds. The dough will be stiff, so I use a sturdy silicone spatula on a wooden handle to do this.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop dough onto the paper, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies are golden but centers are still soft, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let them sit on the baking sheet for a minute or two to set up. Transfer cookies to racks to cool. Serve, or store airtight up to 3 days.