Turkey may be the main course for Thanksgiving dinner, but in our house the pies play the starring role. I have as much fun planning the pies as the rest of the meal and always have trouble narrowing down the list if we’re having a small gathering. More Thanksgiving Day visitors equals more pies! One pie that is a favorite of mine is butternut squash pie. I make it with roasted butternut squash which gives it a little extra natural sweetness, and it’s very easy to make with lactose-free whole milk.
Make It Gluten Free
You can make a gluten-free pie crust using the recipe from King Arthur Flour (my favorite) or another of your favorite recipes or mixes.
[Update June 30, 2013: I created this recipe for Moovision, but the Moovision website is no longer active, so I am offering the recipe here.]
Butternut Squash Pie
- baking sheet lined with aluminum foil
- food processor
- medium mixing bowl
- 9-inch pie pan
- 1 gluten-free chilled and unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup lactose-free whole milk (or regular whole milk)
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position the oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400° F.
- Remove the squash stem and wash the outside. Using a cleaver, cut the squash in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray a little bit of canola oil on it. Lay the squash halves cut side down on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven until the skin blisters and has dark brown spots and the flesh is fork tender, about 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Reduce heat to 350° F and move the rack down to the lower third of the oven.
- Scrape the flesh out and discard the squash skins. Puree the flesh in a food processor or in a bowl with an immersion blender.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together 1-½ cups of the pureed squash, brown sugar, eggs, lactose-free whole milk, cinnamon, salt, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg. Pour the mixture into the chilled pie crust and bake in the preheated oven until the edges of the filling are set and the middle is still slightly loose, about 50 to 60 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack and chill until ready to serve.
[…] Butternut Squash Pie from Andrea Meyers […]
[…] Butternut Squash Pie […]