Day 10 of our 12 Days of Cookies extravaganza thing, and I have to say that I almost didn’t make these bourbon balls because they seemed more like a confection than a cookie to me, except for the fact that they start with a whole bag of Oreos. Yes, crushed chocolate Oreos make the base for these decadent little treats, and the other taste treat is the bourbon soaked raisins.
Making these seemed like it would be so easy, and the mixing is very very easy; the rolling is what tripped me up. I ended up with some very sticky mixture that seemed to coat my hands in layers and I had to rinse my hands completely between each ball. Finally I decided the mixture needed some chilling time, so I covered it and stuck it in the frig hoping for a better rolling experience the next day. My hero, Michael, came to my rescue and rolled the remaining balls for me and his turned out beautifully. He coated them in cocoa before rolling and wore gloves to keep them from sticking so much.
The flavor is wonderful, though I would want more bourbon next time. One comment on the Gourmet site mentioned an experience with bourbon balls that sounds like the chef used considerably more bourbon than this recipe. In any case, plan ahead as these need to sit for at least a week before enjoying them to give the bourbon time to ferment with the sugar, but oh is it worth the wait.
Be sure to visit all our friends in the cookie clan to see what cookies they chose as well as the Gourmet website to see all their favorite cookies from 1941-2008.
The Rest of the Cookie Baking Clan
- Kelly of Sass & Veracity
- Courtney of Coco Cooks
- Judy of No Fear Entertaining
- Sandy of The Bakers Bench
- Claire of The Barefoot Kitchen
- Jerry of Cooking By the Seat of My Pants
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (about an 18 ounce package of Oreos or similar, with the cream scraped out)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- finely chopped pecans
- cocoa powder
- In the small bowl macerate (soak) the chopped raisins in the bourbon for 15 minutes.
- In the large bowl stir well the chocolate wafer crumbs, dark brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Add the raisin mixture and molasses and stir until the mixture clumps together.
- Shape the mixture into 1-inch balls (we made them smaller). If the balls are a little dry and crumble, sprinkle some more bourbon over the mixture and stir again. Roll the balls in the chopped pecans or the cocoa powder.
- Store the bourbon balls in an airtight container in a cool dark place for at least 1 week before serving. Makes about 36 balls.