Another regular from our winter soup kitchen. It’s very easy and tasty, great for a quick weeknight meal. Puréed black beans, salsa, and cilantro give this soup a great consistency and flavor. It’s delicious served with tortilla chips and a queso dip. We also make a pot of rice to go along with it, which makes it a complete protein dish. Make a salad on the side, and you'll have a very healthy meal.
[Updated August 2012]
Black Bean Soup
Adapted from a recipe from my friend Nancy DeJesus.
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 48 ounces canned black beans (undrained)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 16 ounces salsa
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ bunch of cilantro (coarsely chopped, with stems, ends trimmed)
- plain sour cream (or vegan option)
- tortilla chips
- cilantro leaves
- Cook onion, garlic, cumin and pepper flakes in oil in 4-quart saucepot over medium heat for 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat.
- Place 1 can beans (with liquid) in blender, add ½ the broth. Cover, and blend until puréed. Stir into saucepot. Repeat with one more can of beans and broth. Stir in remaining can of beans (whole), salsa, and lime juice.
- Heat mixture to boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in chopped cilantro. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Ladle soup into each bowl; top with dollop of sour cream. Garnish with broken tortilla chips and snipped cilantro.
Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1072mg | Potassium: 769mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 315IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 91mg | Iron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Share in the comments!
Wanted to say I tried a quicker variation of this recipe with a can of jalapeno stewed tomatoes, drained black beans and a handful of cilantro all into the food processor then 2 minutes in the microwave...it came out amazing! Thank you!