It’s not a game day gathering without good dips, and this Baked Pimiento Cheese Crab Dip is a solid favorite at our house. For the folks who aren’t as fond of mayonnaise as others, this is a low mayo version with sour cream, roasted red pepper, lump crab meat, and hand-shredded sharp cheddar. This is not diet food, but if you are making it for a party there will be other people to share it with and spread the calories around.
Baked Pimiento Cheese Crab Dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 ounces lump crab meat, drained
- 16 ounces block sharp cheddar, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350° F/175° C.
- Roast the red pepper in a 350° F/175° C toaster oven or in a dry skillet, turning until all sides are charred, about 5 to 8 minutes. Allow the roasted pepper to cool in a paper bag, then slip off the charred skin. Discard the seeds and stem, and dice the pepper.
- In the medium bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, diced pepper, onion, ground red pepper, crab meat, and shredded cheddar cheese. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbly and lightly browned on top, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with sliced baguette, crackers, pita wedges, or chips.