My husband and I both love to make pizza, but we like different pizza styles. I prefer hand-tossed or thin crusts, and my favorite kind of pizza is pizza margherita, although I do like some sauce occasionally or even a pizza bianca. My husband loves Chicago style pizza swimming in sauce, deep dish or stuffed. He makes a different kind of sauce, and I’ll post the recipe the next time we make a stuffed pizza.
The recipes makes enough to cover one large pizza or two medium pizzas.
Andrea's Favorite Pizza Sauce
- small sauce pan
- sharp knife
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Prep all the ingredients first and have them sitting ready to go. The recipe cooks fast, so this step is important.
- In a medium saucepan, sauté garlic in oil until golden. Watch it closely as the garlic can go from golden to burned in a nanosecond.
- Add tomato paste, water, wine, sugar, oregano, basil, and cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Simmer for 10 minutes over medium low heat. Remove from heat and spread over pizza prepared pizza dough.