Pork carnitas may not be traditional game day food, but we love them for just about any occasion. The slow cooker does most of the work. It’s so easy to rub down the meat and cook it in the slow cooker, then shred it and make soft tacos with all our favorite accompaniments. Just set up a carnitas bar with fresh vegetables, tortillas, and cheese, and the party is ready to start.
I created this recipe for the newly updated Old El Paso website, which is loaded with healthy and flavorful recipes, and most are easy enough for a game day party. Make sure you check it out!
- 5 to 6-pound Boston Butt pork roast
- 2 packets Old El Paso Mild Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 2 packages Old El Paso Flour Tortillas, 10-Count for Soft Tacos & Fajitas
- lettuce leaves
- chopped tomatoes
- lime wedges
- chopped bell pepper
- chopped cilantro
- Trim any excess fat from the pork roast. Rub 2 packets of Old El Paso Mild Taco Seasoning all over the roast, and place it in a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker. Pour 1/2 cup of water around the bottom of the roast and cover.
- Cook on low for 8 to 12 hours, or overnight. Turn off the slow cooker and allow the roast to rest for about 30 minutes. Shred the meat with a fork, removing as much remaining fat as possible. Put the meat back into the juices in the slow cooker and keep on warm for at least one more hour, or until ready to serve.
5 to 6-quart slow cooker
The slow cooker makes the meat fall-apart tender and so juicy. You can start this overnight and finish it the next day to make preparation even easier.