Though the days are getting warmer and the summer daylilies have just started to bloom, I still feel the urge to pull out the slow cooker on cool spring mornings. When most of our days are swirling with activity, it gives me a sense of accomplishment to get a meal going in the slow cooker. I know that dinner will be ready later and I can focus on the boys and their needs or the endless to dos and errands and avoid the rush to get something ready for dinner at 5 p.m. when they are all standing around the kitchen telling me that they are starving.
Paprika chicken is a slow cooker favorite that is also easy on the budget, even giving us leftovers for another meal. Chicken thighs work very well and add lots of flavor to the sauce, and I sometimes include a chicken breast or two for Michael. We like this with brown rice or roasted potatoes and asparagus or green beans.
[Updated January 6, 2011.]
1. In the sauté pan, melt the butter and add the canola oil. Sauté the onions and garlic over medium heat until the onions are soft and glistening. Add the tomato paste, paprika, and crushed red pepper. Stir and add the sliced mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms have softened slightly, about 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Line the bottom of the slow cooker with the chicken thighs, layering as necessary. Sprinkle on some kosher salt and a few grinds of fresh black pepper, and then the marjoram. Transfer the cooked onion and mushrooms to the slow cooker, covering the chicken with it. Add the chicken stock and put the lid on top.
3. Select the Auto setting on your slow cooker and cook for about 6 hours. If your slow cooker does not have an auto setting, you can cook on High for 2 hours then Low for 4 hours, or you can cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours. The chicken will be very tender and possibly falling off the bone.
4. Remove the chicken pieces, place them on a warm plate, and cover. In the small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and flour. Add a couple tablespoons of the sauce to the sour cream mixture and stir. In the slow cooker, whisk in a few tablespoons of the sour cream mixture at a time until the sour cream is dissolved. Put the chicken pieces back in and cover with the lid. Cook on high for about 30 minutes more.
5. Place chicken pieces in a large bowl and pour the sauce over it. Garnish with snipped chives and serve.
Equipment & Recipe Notes
large sauté pan
4 to 5 quart slow cooker
You can also use a whole cut-up chicken or just add some chicken breast. Remove the skin from the breasts, cut them in half sideways and place those pieces on top of the dark meat. You want the dark meat on the bottom because it takes longer to cook.
More Budget Meals with Chicken
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes From Around the Blogs
[An original post from Andrea Meyers: making life delicious. All images and text copyrighted, All Rights Reserved.]
[Disclosure: This blog earns a few cents on items purchased through the Amazon.com links in posts.]