I’m a total kid at heart when it comes to these crispy, gooey treats. Mom made them when we were growing up, and I still can’t resist them. A batch does not last long at our house, so it’s probably a good thing that I don’t make them very often.
There are many, many ways to fix these rice crispy treats, but I like the simple version—no nuts, no peanut butter, no brown rice. Well, actually there is one thing that I like on top of my treats…Nutella. Spread a layer of that heavenly hazelnut chocolate concoction on top, and all self-control goes out the window. It makes a tasty treat that is good for your soul, if not your hips!
[Updated May 2014.]
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- In the pot, melt butter oven medium heat. Add the marshmallows and melt, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and sea salt.
- Stir in the crispy rice cereal until completely coated. Pour the mixture into the buttered baking dish. Wet your hands and press the mixture down firmly.
- Allow to cool, then cut in squares and serve with Nutella spread on top.
6 quart pot
9x13 glass baking dish, buttered