Leftovers for breakfast is a time-honored tradition around our house. I usually have some leftover brown rice or quinoa in the refrigerator, plus a few random vegetables from various meals, and the boys and I like to toss some of it together to make healthy breakfast bowls on busy mornings. We just pull everything out of the frig and the boys start dishing up whatever sounds good to them. After they go off to school and I’ve gotten in some exercise, I head back to the kitchen to make my own breakfast, such as this quinoa bowl with fried egg, bacon, and vegetables. I stir some salsa into the leftover quinoa and top it off with a little chopped bacon and whatever style of egg sounds good at the moment. To get extra vegetables, sometimes I pile it on top of a handful of spinach or baby kale, and add whatever is fresh in the garden, such as cilantro and green onions.
That is what I call a healthy and filling breakfast.
- 1 cup leftover quinoa or brown rice
- cooked egg, your choice
- avocado chunks
- chopped piece of bacon
- black or kidney beans
- chopped vegetables (peppers, tomatoes,
- herbs (cilantro, parsley, basil, chives)
- green onions
- freshly ground black pepper
- Stir the quinoa or rice with the salsa and reheat. Top with the cooked egg, avocado chunks, chopped bacon, and any vegetables and herbs you like. Sprinkle on some green onions and freshly ground black pepper.
small nonstick skillet
soup or cereal bowl
Recipe can vary with seasonal produce. Try making a bed of baby spinach or baby kale. Also try tossing the quinoa or brown rice with your favorite homemade dressing or vinaigrette instead of salsa.