I always loved the smell of this baking when I was a girl. I don’t know where my mom got the recipe, but it is a favorite. The bread is moist and flavorful.
[Updated August 22, 2009]
MOM’S ZUCCHINI BREAD
Makes 2 loaves.
stand mixer with paddle attachment
2 (9×5) loaf pans
2 cups (350 g) granulated sugar
1 cup (240 ml) canola oil
3 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups peeled and shredded zucchini
3 cups (240 g) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup (226 g) chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350° F/175° C.
2. In the bowl of the stand mixer, beat the eggs till fluffy. Add sugar, vanilla and oil. Blend well. Stir in the shredded zucchini.
4. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir little by little into the batter, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
5. Pour batter into two 9×5 ungreased loaf pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, but start checking at 50 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean.
6. Place pans on a wire rack and allow to cool about 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely on the wire rack.
7. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate, or put the wrapped bread into freezer bags and store in the freezer. Will keep for up to three months in the freezer.