The last time we were in Maine, I was pregnant with Hockey Guy, which means it’s been way too long since that trip. We have talked about another trip to Maine for the past two years, hoping that we’ll be able to squeeze it in sometime soon. We want to take the boys to see where we got married in Bar Harbor, visit Acadia, go to all our favorite towns, photograph lighthouses, and of course hit some lobster pounds.
This is a good time of year for soft-shelled lobster, when the crustaceans have shed their hard shells to allow for growth. The soft shells come apart easily in your hands, and the meat is sweet and tender. It’s fantastic just boiled and dipped in drawn butter, or added to any number of dishes, but I adore Maine lobster rolls. I think I could spend an entire summer traveling up and down Maine, stopping to sample lobster rolls in every town. Of course, if you have any favorite Maine lobster pounds, please share and help plan our itinerary!
We occasionally buy whole lobster and cook it up at home, but sometimes I’ll just get some precooked frozen lobster meat from Cozy Harbor of Maine (not sponsored). They sell claw and leg meat packed tightly in freezer containers, and those 7-ounce containers have roughly the equivalent meat from six pounds of new shell Maine lobster. Definitely more convenient and less expensive than buying, cooking, and prepping that many lobsters. We treated ourselves to homemade lobster rolls a couple times this summer, and even though we missed the sights and sounds, we at least got a taste of Maine this year.
- 7-ounce (200 g) cup of Cozy Harbor Lobster Meat (or meat from 6 pounds of cooked lobster)
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup seedless diced cucumber
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- dash cayenne pepper
- fresh lettuce leaves
- New England hot dog rolls
- Drain the lobster meat, pat dry, and cut into 1/2” pieces.
- In the bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mayonnaise, cucumber, chives, and cayenne pepper. Fold in the lobster meat, and chill in the refrigerator.
- Butter the sides of the New England hot dog rolls and toast both sides on the skillet. Layer some fresh lettuce leaves in each bun and add a scoop of the lobster mixture, then serve.
medium bowl with lid
skillet or griddle
Using frozen lobster meat is very easy and convenient, just remember to thaw completely and drain well. Pat the meat dry with paper towels before mixing with the mayonnaise. And because the meat will continue to release liquid, this is best eaten the same day. Grilled corn on the cob goes well with lobster rolls.
Make a Meal – Good Food to Eat with Lobster Rolls
More Lobster Recipes From Other Blogs
- The Perfect Pantry – Lobster, Corn, and Basil Quiche
- Half-Baked Harvest – Blue Cheese Lobster Beignets with Spicy Avocado Cream + Garden Veggie Sauté
- Culinary Concoctions by Peabody – Gouda and Lobster Mac and Cheese
- Verses from My Kitchen – Lobster and Corn Cakes with Crispy Pancetta, Arugula, Avocado, and Poached Egg
[An original post from Andrea Meyers: making life delicious. All images and text copyrighted, All Rights Reserved.]
[Disclosure: This blog earns a few cents on items purchased through the Amazon.com links in posts.]