My boys don’t agree on many things, including food. Two like tomatoes, one doesn’t. Two like corn, one doesn’t. Two like carrots, one doesn’t. Two like melted cheese, one doesn’t. (I don’t get that one at all.) But one thing they all agree on is cucumbers. They’ll eat them sliced with lunch or dinner, plain or salted, pickled, or in a salad. They are so juicy and refreshing that I will eat one whole with a little bit of salt for a snack, and eating a bowl full of cucumber salad is my idea of a great lunch.
My whole family gobbled up this lemon cucumber salad I found in the Cooking Light Big Book of Salads. With the cucumbers, peppers, Vidalia onion, parsley, and a lemon vinaigrette, it’s flavorful and very easy to whip up for lunch or dinner.
The original recipe calls for radishes, but since we didn’t have any I thinly sliced some Vidalia onion instead, and we thought the combination tasted very good.
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 English cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 Vidalia onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In the small bowl, whisk together the lemon rind, lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, sea salt and black pepper.
- In the medium bowl, stir the cucumbers, bell pepper, onion, and parsley. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
More Fresh Salad Recipes
More Cucumber Salad Recipes From Other Blogs
- Food Blogga – Watermelon Radish and Armenian Cucumber Salad
- Life’s Ambrosia – Sliced Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- Sweet Remedy – Cucumber Caprese Salad
- Kalyn’s Kitchen – Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Marinated Garbanzo Beans, Feta, and Herb
[Disclosure: I am a member of the Cooking Light Bloggers’ Connection.]