“You can make this salad every day for the rest of the summer. I could eat it every day.” ~Michael
“Mommy, this is so good!” ~Top Gun (Then he proceeds to stand up and dance at the table.)
“Who wants to help me make the eggplant salad for Kids Cook Monday?” ~Me
“Me!” ~Three excited boys.
For a long time I thought I was the only eggplant lover in my house. The guys would eat it willingly, but they don’t crave it like I do. When it comes in season, I want eggplant sandwiches, stir-fry, baba ganoush, curry, grilled, you name it. In my search for more eggplant goodness, I came across a salad recipe on BBC Good Food with grilled eggplant and a Moroccan-style dressing that immediately caught my attention. I made it the next day with a couple changes, and my guys devoured it with gusto. Finally, an eggplant dish that they all love as much as I do!
It made me feel all giddy inside.
So it was pretty easy to get some volunteers to help make it for dinner today. I made a pot of lentils yesterday and stuck them in the refrigerator to use in the salad today, and any leftovers can go with other dishes–leftover lentils are great for breakfast. The tomatoes are Mr. Stripey and Early Girls from our garden, and I recommend using similar juicy tomatoes for best flavor.
Make sure to visit The Kids Cook Monday for more recipes to cook with the whole family, and check out the rest of our Kids Cook Monday recipes below.
- 1 pound (454 g) eggplant
- olive oil
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 1 small (4 ounce/113 g) red onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound (454 g) fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, lower stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 ounces (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- Slice the eggplant about 1/2-inch thick. Brush both sides lightly with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and arrange on a preheated grill rack or pan. Grill until browned, then turn them over, brush with more oil then cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes total. Remove from the grill and cut each slice into quarters.
- In a large serving bowl, toss the eggplant, lentils, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. Mix all the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well, then toss in the salad. Allow to rest at room temperature about 10 to 15 minutes, then serve.
grill or grill pan
large serving bowl
The eggplant and lentils soak up flavor from the tomatoes and the dressing, so some resting time makes the salad taste better. It's even delicious the next day.
More Kids Cook Monday Recipes
For the complete list of The Kids Cook Monday recipes, visit my Cooking with Kids page.